Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Eve Review

Pulled from Sundry's blog, which I love and read, but never comment on.

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
      Let's do bullet points...I love bullet points.
  • Ran two half-marathons
  • Published THREE papers as the first author
  • Made a lot of new recipes
  • Turned 34
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
  • I don't really remember resolving anything at the beginning of 2009, so let's call it a clean slate. 
  • For 2010, my two resolutions are: 1) to try not to overthink tasks and chores (as in, if the house needs to be dusted, for God's sake, woman, just *dust* it...nothing was ever gained through overthinking/dreading a task), and 2) to take a deep breath before I overreact to something (usually something I have done to myself)
  • Oh, and a fitness-related one or two: 1) to run two more half marathons (and break the 2 hour mark), 2) to run one more full marathon, and 3) to do a triathlon of any distance
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
  • Perhaps the more appropriate question would be, did anyone close to you *not* give birth? 
  • Two people from my wedding (college roommate, baby #2; childhood friend, babies #1 & 2) (one more is pregnant, with twins, although it's early days yet)
  • A friend here in town (baby #1)
  • A friend from where I worked in DC (baby #1)
  • Seemingly every child of my mother's friends (babies #1 through, roughly, a gazillion)
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Good grief, not that I can remember. Isn't that awful?

5. What countries did you visit?
  • Ooh, a fun one! 
  • Canada (I know, I know, but I needed to use my passport, okay?)
  • Iceland! (for a conference) (but I did fun stuff too)
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
  • A "real job" - one in which my taxes are assessed *for* me
  • Oh god, it's so terrible, but a little more money would be really nice. We have a very nice life, but...we run a little too close to the line for my comfort. 
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
  • May, in general, because that is when we decided not to pursue IVF or other, further, infertility treatments. 
  • December 14 - my husband started his new job
  • January 20 - the (FINALLY) end of an error in Washington 
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
  • I think I had a couple: publishing those three papers and surviving; presenting my data multiple times (and surviving!); and, generally, learning how to be a calmer person
9. What was your biggest failure?
  • Also learning how to be a calmer person. Because I think I failed a lot more than I succeeded.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
  • Oddly, yes, since I am generally a very healthy person. But nothing serious!
  • I injured my...I think it was my LEFT foot. I swear it was a stress fracture, but I was told it was just an "overuse injury". Six loooong weeks of no running. I hope never to repeat that feat. Ha. 
  • Official diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. Thanks, mom. 
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I can't believe I am going to admit this, but I think it was our new TV. Which I can actually hear. And which is a joy to watch movies on. Other than that, we really didn't buy much.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
This is a hard one for me. I would say the President, because I am an unabashed fan, but even he made me cringe a few times. My husband, for sure - he puts up with me on a daily basis.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
This is a much longer list...and because I am in a snarky mood, we'll go with: organized religion; opponents of same-sex marriage (seriously, why? why is this STILL a debate?); various pseudo-celebrities who exploited their 15 minutes of fame for another 5; opponents of science and rational thought... I believe I shall stop there.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, food (although doing better on that now), and Target.

15. What did you get really excited about?
My progress in my chosen career field, and the realization that I can *do* this!

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
I'm always a bit behind, but I'd have to say that Cat Stevens song from the phone commercial. And I can't even remember the name. Gah.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier. I think.
– thinner or fatter? The same. But working on becoming thinner.
– richer or poorer? Poorer, definitely. Hoping to swing this in the other direction, and soon. A real job will help.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
  • Engaging with the world around me. 
  • Just *doing* things instead of overthinking them (e.g., I never went skiing last year because I overthought driving a hour to go to the closest hill...).
  • Having more pride in my appearance and accomplishments. 

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Random dinking on the internet. Come to think of it, I'm going to add that to my list of resolutions.


20. How did you spend Christmas?
At home, with my husband and the dog. We opened a few presents from my Aunt, skyped with the family, and hung out. I baked and cleaned the kitchen. Oh, and I think I did laundry.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
No.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
LOST, Amazing Race, NCIS, How I Met Your Mother, and the Big Bang Theory.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Um, no?

24. What was the best book you read?
I really liked the Lost Symbol, and I'm in the middle of the Vince Flynn CIA books, which I am enjoying immensely.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Networked iTunes libraries. Oh. My. My husband has the BEST music.

26. What did you want and get?
First-author publications! I now have 3! :)

27. What did you want and not get?
Pregnant. Also, a reason why I can't get pregnant.

28. What was your favorite film of the year?
We're a little behind in our film watching. And honestly? Nothing is standing out. *sigh*

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I'm going to have to look back at my calendar. Oh, right. We went to lunch and shopping in a little town nearby. I had fantastic tiramisu, as well as a HUGE salad. It was fantastic.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
An improved ability to just take a deep breath, and then let (whatever) go. Also, the ability to *not* eat everything in front of me.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Nonexistent. Yoga pants at home, a variety of sweaters and jeans at "work".

32. What kept you sane?
RUNNING.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Um, none?

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Same-sex marriage. Seriously people. It's legal here now. Get over it. We have bigger things to worry about. And honestly? Has ANYTHING changed? No.


35. Who did you miss?
My college roommate. We didn't talk nearly as much as we used to. I miss her.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
This is a tough one... I don't meet many new people. I'll say the new post doc who arrived in September.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Just keep moving. Standing still is not an option.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I'm terrible at these types of questions. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment