Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Beauty

So, I have often wondered what it must be like to be beautiful. I have never considered myself to have one of those faces that stop traffic (in a good way) or attract a lot of attention (also in a good way). But I look around during the course of my days here, and I see a lot of people who I consider to be absolutely, stunningly, beautiful.

And I wonder...what must it be like to be gorgeous? What is it like to have a face and a body that are a 10 on society's beauty scale? I have never turned heads, but I have also never had to wonder whether people like me for who I am or what I look like. I have never had to deal with unwanted attention. Others have never been jealous of me because of my appearance. But at the same time, I have also been the girl out with her friends who doesn't get any attention from the opposite sex (my personal preference; although I've never gotten any attention from lesbians, either, now that I think about it). I have learned that for me, my brain is what is going to help me make it or break it in my life. And sometimes that can be tiring. At the same time, though, I am perfectly comfortable going out to walk the dog in grubby clothes. I don't feel compelled to wear makeup on a daily (or even, um, a weekly) basis. Days when I am at home I don't dry my hair. But do I get in a rut...do I wear baggy clothes...because I know that no one out there (other than my husband) will look twice?

So I wonder...about what it must be like to be beautiful.

And I am glad that no one I know - or really, anyone at all - will read this. Because I know what they would say - it's how we all respond when someone says "I wonder what it would be like to be beautiful...to be tall...to be thin..." Nearly always? the other person tries to convince the speaker that s/he is beautiful...or just the right height...or thin enough. I'm not interested in that. This post is more of a...huh...there are people out in the world whose faces could likely stop traffic (in a good way). And I do wonder what life is like for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment