Thursday, April 2, 2009

Reminiscence

The final ER is on tonight...and I'm a bit sad, to be honest.

I remember watching the show in college...15 years ago. I was just a baby nurse, had no idea what I was getting into, and certainly had no idea what the show did right...and wrong. Wow. I can't believe it's been that long. I haven't watched for many, many seasons...but I will watch tonight, for old time's sake.

I had a love/hate relationship with ER. The show's presentation of life in the ER is likely one of the best on TV. But the show's portrayal of nurses has always left me cold. A show with two nurses (or more...I don't know what has happened in the last few years...) who have gone on to medical school? Really? Because the nurses I know don't really want to be doctors. They want to be nurses. That always, always bugged me. It's a very doctor-centric show. They straight up admit that. But it still bugged me.

My mother hated how they would scrub with their masks down...If' I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times.

But ER ending reminds me more of how things have changed. In the time it's been on the air, I've finished my undergrad, gotten a master's degree, taken care of a lot of really sick kids, traveled across the US, found a new specialty, gotten married, and gotten my PhD. My goodness. In 15 years. How time has flown.

No comments:

Post a Comment