Saturday, February 21, 2009

Speed Limits

One of the funniest differences between the DC burbs (where we lived for the last 2.5 years) and our current location here in flyover country (FOC for short) are the different ways people choose not to follow the speed limit. In the DC burbs, I can't tell you the number of times I had an angry speeder on my tail on a two-lane road, even though I was going at least 5 mph over the speed limit (conditions permitting, of course...). Here, people tend to go at least 5 and usually 10 mph under the speed limit. Seriously. Beautiful weather, sunshine, no snow/ice on the roads, and they're plugging along at 25 in a 40 mph zone. I do not understand it...but I try not to imitate it.

Of course, the one place that people do not follow this weird below-the-speed-limit doctrine is in front of the elementary school near our house. I'll give you that the School Zone is not limited to "when children are present", which can be a little irritating. But people seriously go blasting through there at 40 mph when they should be going 20. So...why do people go so much slower in the regular speed limit zones, but choose not to slow down in the school zone? I just don't get it. I have a feeling in 15 years, assuming we are still here in FOC, I will be doing the same thing. I mean, I hope not, but I think it might be unavoidable.

Someday I will do a post on the differences between the DC burbs and here, for lo, they are many. And they are frequently funny. Only because my husband and I are clearly perfect in every way. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment